Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Saying ‘NO’ to an “air guitar” life

If you are in the corporate world, especially in one immersed in Lean SixSigma, you know the term ’5S’. That’s what I need to do to my life….Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain. They forgot Sterile….However sterile and blah the notion of 5S is, I think it’s my first step to newness. Purge and rinse and for gosh sake don’t repeat. We received a gift from our CEO where I work for the holidays. It’s a book entitled ‘Fully Engage – How to DO less and BE more’ by John Busacker. In it he talks about ‘double booking’ your life…aka adding more and more to your life hoping that the extra things/plans/people/events/etc will improve your life and thus make you more happy/successful/complete. However I liked his statement when he said, “Double booking amounts to an “air guitar life” – furious motion and considerable energy but in the end no sound and little lasting impact.”

So as they say, out with the old, in with the new….or out with the bad, in with the good. However you want to say it, lets just start with out with the bad/old and not even think about adding anything new yet. I need to ’5S’ my life as is, body, mind, and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment